Part of downtown Worcester, MA's growing theatre district and exciting renaissance, the BrickBox is a new performance venue where professional artists are empowered to have their music, dance, films, plays, installations, cabarets, and other performance events presented to audiences eager for a wide range of creative experiences. Our flexible space seats up to 299 warm bodies, and comes fully loaded with state-of-the art equipment. Support spaces include three dressing rooms, a palatial green room, wardrobe facilities, and a gorgeous rehearsal hall.
We are a program of the WORCESTER CULTURAL COALITION/ operated in partnership with THE HANOVER THEATRE FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS/.
At the Brick Box, we're curating a wide range of performances and events. If you're interested in becoming one of our Presenters, please read all the information below, before submitting a preliminary application. Thanks!
Q: LET'S CUT TO THE CHASE! WHAT ARE YOUR RATES AND FEES?
A: To make the space as affordable as possible, we distribute fees across a variety of channels (you'll see what that means, below). While we reserve the right to negotiate on a case-by-case basis, the following gives you a good sense of our fee structure.
Base rental rates for use of the BrickBox are:
$2250/ WCC Member
$5000/ For Profit
4-Day (Thursday - Sunday)
$1750/ WCC Member
$4000/ For Profit
1-Day (12 Hours)
$350/ WCC Member
$900/ For Profit
$100/ WCC Member
$450/ For Profit
Furthermore, there is a per-performance operations fee of $350 any time you have a public audience or group in the building. By way of example, if you are renting the space for an entire week, and have a performance on Friday, two on Saturday, and one on Sunday, you will be charged the per-performance operations fee for each of those performances.
When it comes to ticketing, a facility fee of 10% will be included in the advertised ticket price, and a $5 handling fee will be passed to the patron. By way of example, if you want to receive $10 in revenue / ticket, the advertised price will be $11 ($10 plus 10%), and the handling fee will be $5, so the patron will pay $16 total.
If you'd also like exclusive use of the adjacent WORCESTER POPUP/, there is an additional rental fee of $100 / hour.
We will also ask you to add the JMAC / Worcester Cultural Coalition as an Additional Insured on your policy.
On a case-by-case basis, we may assess fees associated with specific requests for your event, like accommodating your desired seating arrangement, providing use of our piano, granting access to our dumpster for load-outs, or adding additional hours to the one-day rental.
Q: IS THERE REHEARSAL SPACE, TOO?
A: Yup, we have a large, gorgeous studio waiting for your crew. While we again reserve the right to negotiate on a case-by-case basis, the basic rehearsal room rates are:
$720/ WCC Member
$1600/ For Profit
$112.50/ WCC Member
$250/ For Profit
Q: WHAT IS THE PROCESS TO BECOME A PRESENTER?
A: Great question. Please see below for a basic overview.
• First, you'll submit the preliminary application available on this page, under the "APPLY TO PRESENT" tab, below.
• You should apply AS SOON AS you know your event date(s).
• All applications must be received AT LEAST 8 weeks in advance of your event date(s).
• The larger your event, the more lead time we will need. For example, Presenters looking to mount a full-scale theatrical production should apply at least 6 months in advance, while a Presenter seeking to hold a simple film screening or lecture might be successful applying only 8 weeks in advance.
• If your event is within 8 weeks of today, check out our sister space, the WORCESTER POPUP/ -- it might be a better fit.
• After receiving your preliminary application, we'll take a good look. If your event doesn't seem right for the BrickBox, we'll follow up with helpful feedback to that effect. If it seems like a match made in heaven, we'll follow up to learn more while giving you the chance to ask us questions, too.
• If we decide to tie the knot, we'll draft a lease agreement and set up a date to sign. At that same time, we'll take care of other unsexy nuts and bolts like collecting your first payment, obtaining proof of your insurance, and setting dates for event-planning meetings.
• Once the lease agreement is signed, we'll support your event every step of the way.
• Shortly after your event's conclusion, we'll provide a final accounting and settlement, while tying up any other loose ends.
Q: HOW DOES THE BRICKBOX SUPPORT PRESENTERS?
A: In terms of personnel and services, we provide our Managing Director and Technical Associate, as well as all box office and front-of-house functions. We'll also plug your event on our social media channels, in our newsletter, and on our home page. In terms of infrastructure, we provide our theater, including modular seating, comprehensive sound and lighting packages, and a state-of-the-art projector and screen, as well as an AEA-compliant green room including washer/dryer, two AEA-compliant dressing rooms including bathrooms and shower, our public lobby, and public restrooms.
Q: ARE WE ABLE TO SELL CONCESSIONS?
A: Beer, wine, and food concessions will be made available for your patrons and managed by our sister space, the WORCESTER POPUP/. We will retain all revenues.
Q: I'M NOT QUITE READY TO APPLY TO BE A PRESENTER, BUT I HAVE AN IDEA FOR AN EVENT AND WOULD WELCOME THE OPPORTUNITY TO BRAINSTORM. WOULD YOU BE UP FOR THAT?
A: Absolutely! We love a good brainstorm. Shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Event Idea and we'll set something up. Thank you!
APPLY TO PRESENT
If you've read all our FAQ's, then let's get the ball rolling! Please submit a Preliminary Application, below. We’re excited to have you here at our house.
PHOTOS ABOVE. BUILDOUT OF THE BRICKBOX THEATER, DRESSING ROOMS AND REHEARSAL HALLS, TAKEN BY MIKE HENDRICKSON.
ADDRESS (CLICK FOR MAP)